Wandering About...

Friday, September 20. Cooler, 22 C.

Jet lag of course is our issue. We went to bed at 7:30 last night after a smallish but pricey dinner in the hotel because we were too tired to look elsewhere. Of course I woke up at 10:30 in a daze but managed to stay in bed until 4:30 when Fellette was awake as we both wanted coffee. The in-room coffee was decaffeinated so I ordered from room service. That cost $30.00! The coffee was excellent but double what we needed. Rookie mistake I guess!


We went down for the included breakfast which far exceeded our expectations. Butter was from Normandy I noticed [my how the world changes over time]. We retired to our room and looked over the map of London deciding how to spend it wisely but knowing full well we will need a nap later as we are still on Home Time, which we are usually in bed sleeping at this time.


By now we have seen, but not spoken to, many of the guests here who will be on the ship with us. Many Americans of course, the ages are mixed but on the older side, I am not good at judging seniors ages  yet.


We had a lazy morning, I napped on the bed, Fellette worked on her iPad. We then went for a half decent walk, making our way up to Piccadilly Circus. There I located the Hotel that I stayed in when I came to Britain in 1960 for my seven-month tour in Europe. The building lower floor is no longer a Hotel but a Chocolate Store! We also stumbled across the restaurant that we went to with Ian and Judy tonight. It is very close to our hotel, about a 20 minute walk but their trip in tonight to be with us is far, far more complicated!

A habit that I picked up in Europe in 1960: photographing delicacies that we could not afford to buy but just drool over!

These long Arcades join two parallel streets and have many very interesting little shops in them.

An Art Museum along Piccadilly.

'Around The World in 80 Days' movie, destination for David Niven.' Remember the Movie?

Fortnum and Mason. Trendy  and popular place.

Fellette with a clerk in the Old Strand Palace Hotel, my temporary home for a week in 1960. He said many people come in and ask the same questions as I did about the hotel that was here 64 years ago. 

There is Eros, the God of Love atop the roundabout in Piccadilly Circus.

Now we can afford it maybe but it is not in our best interests regarding our diet now!

Our 'sidewalk lunch' view.

Yes, they have one!

The 'Ritz!'
                          
Interesting Folk in London eh?

At Rowley's Steak house. The last time we met was 12 years ago. Great to get together again!

Out front, a stranger took the shot as we said goodbye.

On the walk back to our hotel. Some great shoe and tailoring places here.



No comments:

Post a Comment